|

Collegian Business Manager is next EIC

Photo by Aliona Silva

by Mary Joy T. Capistrano

Collegian Business Manager and incoming senior journalism student Karen Ann Macalalad will serve as editor-in-chief of UP Diliman’s official student publication for academic year 2016 to 2017.

Macalalad garnered the highest score of 85.12 in the Collegian editorial examinations, beating nine other contenders namely Malcolm Aniag, Arra Francia, Chrysologus Herrera, Chester Higuit, Frente Sur Melliza, Victor Gregor Limon, Allan Chester Nadate, Anton Onato, and Aldrin Villegas. The exam was administered on May 7 at the College of Mass Communication (CMC).

Geography Sophomore Limon came in second with a total score of 80.2, more than five points away from Macalalad’s score. Herrera came in third with a total aggregate score of 80.12, a margin of 0.08 percent against second-placer Limon.

Meanwhile, Francia trailed Melliza for the fifth spot with a score of 78. Landing in the last five places are Villegas, Nadate, Aniag, Higuit and Onato who each gathered a cumulative score of 73.8, 70.22, 69.1, 68.96, and 66.6, respectively.

The examination consisted of three parts, with editorial writing comprising the bulk of the aggregate score with 70 percent, news writing covering 20 percent, and layout accounting for 10 percent of the score.

Macalalad bested the editorial writing with a total score of 62.72, while Francia topped the news writing exam with a total score of 16.6 percent. Limon came first in the layout exam with a total of 7.8 percent. For the editorial writing component, examinees were asked to write about the topic “The 2016 Elections and the UP Knowledge Festival.”

In her editorial titled “Tinig ng Pakikisangkot,” Macalalad wrote, “…malaki ang mga kapasidad ng mga Pilipinong lumikha ng rebolusyon sa larangan ng syensya at teknolohiya kung sapat lamang ang nakukuhang atensyon nito mula sa pamahalaan. Mapapansin ang kapasidad at kalinangang ito sa mga kombensyon gaya ng UP Knowledge Festival- mula sa tinig ng mga siyentista at manananaliksik naglalayong ihamig ang inobasyon sa lipunan.”

“Kung kaya’t mahalaga na makisangkot ang mamamayan, lalo na ang mga kabataan, upang igiit sa pamahalaan ang kagyat na tugon nito sa isyu ng iba’t ibang panlipunang sektor at kaukulang badyet na nararapat dito,” she added.

She concluded her editorial by stressing the capacity of the youth in affecting change not only in the academe. She also emphasized the crucial role of the Filipino vote in fostering change.

In an interview, Macalalad said she will continue the fearless and critical campus journalism that has defined the Collegian tradition throughout its 93-year existence.

“The Collegian will adhere to its role of being an avenue for the voiceless, and will not be shaken in delivering the sharpest critiques about the government and the most pressing social issues,” she said.

CMC Dean Elena Pernia chaired the editorial examination’s Board of Judges. Assistant Professor Larissa Mae Suarrez of the College of Arts and Letters and Assistant Professor Ryan Oliva of the College of Law served as faculty judges, while Journalism major and UP Journalism Club President Erwin Colcol and Economics major Adrian Christian Castro served as student judges.

Short URL: http://www.philippinecollegian.org/?p=10706

Posted by on Jun 28 2016. Filed under Balita, TATAK KULÊ. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry