|

IT’S FINAL: Zero tuition in UP this sem

14962736_1156127677801511_126599916593773798_n

by Rat San Juan

UP has finally joined the rest of the country’s 112 state universities and colleges in implementing free tuition this semester, according to an August 7 memorandum by UP President Danilo Concepcion.

Moving forward, assessment of fees during the ongoing registration period will be set at zero during enrollment. Thus, students who have not paid tuition may now complete their enrollment without paying for any tuition or other school fees.

Students who have already paid and finished enrollment are entitled to a refund, but reimbursement guidelines are yet to be released. Meanwhile, students who have already been assessed but have not paid will need to request for a reassessment of their fees, in accordance to their home unit’s enrollment process.

The memorandum however does not cover all UP students. Students who are not covered are those who have already attained a bachelor’s degree, failed to comply with the university’s admission and retention policies, or have met the maximum residency requirement prescribed by their program or the university.

Students who are not qualified under the guidelines or have failed to meet the necessary requirements may still apply for a discount under the Socialized Tuition System (STS) or other financial assistance programs in the university. Graduate, law, and medicine students are also not covered by the guidelines, nor are qualified for tuition and other fees subsidy under RA 10931.

Students who need financial assistance in addition to zero tuition payment are required to submit an application form together with supporting documents.

The guidelines have provided a mechanism for financially capable students to voluntarily pay tuition and other school fees, following Section 4 of R.A. 10931.

The announcement came only four days after President Rodrigo Duterte signed into passage Republic Act No. 10931, or the Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act.

Short URL: http://www.philippinecollegian.org/?p=12159

Posted by on Aug 8 2017. Filed under Balita, Breaking. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry